YOUR NOT-TO-BE MISSED Baja California experience must include spending time in Todos Santos, (which means “All Saints”), a picturesque little colonial village and National Historic sight officially dubbed the Pueblo Magico (“magical village”) by the Government of Mexico. A magical oasis where the desert meets the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra Laguna Mountains. Locals know, and travel experts agree, Todos Santos is an up-and-coming arts, culture, and shopping destination you must visit on your Baja adventure.
TEN THINGS TO LOVE ABOUT TODOS SANTOS
Although we could go on forever, here are our 10 things to love about Todos Santos:
1) This charming, coastal village is located an easy 45 minutes drive north of Cabo San Lucas. Perfect for day trips and afternoon shopping excursions. And, since the weather in Todos Santos is always a bit cooler than it is in Los Cabos, it’s truly an oasis in the Mexican desert sure to tempt you on a sunny day.
2) It’s a vibrant arts community and has many art galleries to wander through with hand-crafted, artisan products made with love by local artists, there’s a Film Festival, the Festival de Cine, in March, as well as an annual Music Festival in January created by Peter Buck of REM fame.
3) The rich farmlands around Todos Santos produce Poblano chilis, as well as avocados, papayas, mangos and organic vegetables, all sold locally and enjoyed enthusiastically in the restaurants.
4) COLOR! Everywhere you look in this colonial Mexican town there is bright, happy color! In the architecture, the quaint signage, and the floral landscape. Most particularly the climbing bougainvillea!
5) The town offers some of the most delicious restaurants and cafes! There are at least 80 listed on TripAdvisor, and when you see the size of this petite town, you have to wonder where they all are! We always try a new restaurant when we go to Todos Santos, and so far, we love them all.
6) Thoughtfulness. Maybe it stems from the historical Mission Church located in the heart of town, but the city strives to make the experience of Todos Santos available to, and unforgettable for, all of their visitors. For example, the township recently remodeled all of the streets to make the town accessible to disabled visitors.
7) The people in Todos Santos are genuinely welcoming, friendly, and, well, adorable! Don’t be surprised if people start talking to you on the street, saying “Hola!” with big smiles, it’s clear they love visitors and make everyone feel at home. We were amazed when a passing resident stopped to help us when we looked puzzled, and suggested which were the best art galleries to visit and then kindly offered to take us there.
8) There are quiet and relaxing hotels ideal for a romantic honeymoon after a high energy wedding in Los Cabos. Our current favorite is the Guaycura Boutique Hotel Beach Club & Spa which is located just steps from the main square of Todos Santos. You can even host a wedding at the Guaycura, and then stay for your honeymoon!
9) Local legend claims the Hotel California, from the famous song from American rock band The Eagles, is located right here in Todos Santos. True or not, it’s yet another fun reason to venture north from Cabo.
10) Within a 7 mile radius of Todos Santos, you’ll find glorious beaches for beginning to advanced surfing, such as La Pastora, San Pedrito, and the famous Cerritos.
As you can see, besides its authentic colonial architecture and cobblestone streets, there is much to love about this cool little Baja town.